Understanding your Quote
Once you have spoken to your local Totalspan specialist about your building requirements, they will provide you with a quote. We recommend you go through it carefully to ensure you have a great understanding of what is included, and if you are comparing quotes, make sure you are comparing like with like.
It’s important to note, that even though a shed may look the same in a drawing, they can be vastly different in terms of design, engineering and materials. It is really important that you understand what you are getting before you sign the dotted line.
Your detailed Totalspan quote lists the main materials included in your building kitset, the dimensions for the proposed shed, optional extras that you may have asked for, your site location (extremely important that this is correct) and a site-specific wind speed report. Additionally, your quote will also come with the elevation drawings.
We suggest going through your quote with your Totalspan shed specialists to ensure that all the details are correct.
What You Need To Know When Comparing Quotes:
When comparing quotes for buildings, the cheapest may not necessarily be the best price. The quote might not include some of the things listed below.
Here is a good checklist of things to look out for when comparing quotes:
- Does the quote include a concrete floor and/or concrete piles?
- Is the price for a kitset only or a full build? (including concrete floor)
- Is the quoted building colour steel or zinculume (unpainted) cladding?
- Has the building been designed for your location? (Including: altitude, snow, wind, liquefaction, flood zones, soil testing)
- Does the quote include the filing of the building consent application?
- Have council requirements been considered? (e.g. Boundary setbacks, recession planes, storm water and services - drainage and mains power)
- Check size and height specifications
- Check the door type and size (e.g. sectional door, roller door, tilt door)
- Are windows and/or Personal Access doors included?
- Is the builder experienced in constructing buildings of this type?
- Is a structural warranty and workmanship guarantee included?
If you are not sure what’s included – we will be happy to go through it with you.
More information on assessing the Quote
- Each of our buildings are designed site-specifically. What this means is that we design and engineer each steel building based on its site location, the environment and other factors such as topography, snowload and windspeed. As a result, it’s extremely important that you have provided us with the correct site address. Your quote can change significantly based on where your shed will be located. When comparing quotes, ensure all shed companies have supplied the correct wind-speed to your quotation.
- We have listed the dimensions for your shed on your quotation. Please ensure they are correct and meet your requirements. If you have large equipment, machinery or vehicles that you want to house in your new building, make sure there is enough clearance to get them in and out of the shed. You are best to discuss this with your Totalspan representative to ensure there is ample clearance.
- Check the building inclusions and door details on our quote to assess what we have included. When comparing quotes, assess what components and fixings are on every quote you are comparing. Some suppliers can’t include all fixtures and fittings or will exclude them to provide you with a cheaper price. Totalspan is proud of our strong engineering and believe that every component and fixture in our buildings is of the highest quality. We’re focussed on the structural integrity of your steel building, and we will not compromise on quality.
- Check the warranties included with your shed. Totalspan offers a unique 25-year structural warranty. Additionally, our components are backed by the standard manufacturers’ warranties.
- If you have received a quote for both supply and install, ensure all the service inclusions are also listed. Are the relevant approvals and documentations included in the quote? It is best to understand each step of the building process, so please speak with your Totalspan team about what to expect.
- If you are planning on purchasing the kitset only, ask your Totalspan representative what is required to be an owner building / owner manager. In some cases, you will need to apply for licenses or permits to do so. Check out our page on owner builder requirements. Furthermore, ensure you have all the right tools to get the job done.
- If you are a DIYer, you’ll be pleased to know that Totalspan provide detailed assembly manuals, a checklist of Building Materials (BOM), engineering, construction and slab plans.